The History of Smith Township
Smith Township was founded in 1781 as one of the original 13 townships created with the birth of Washington County and named to honor Rev. Joseph Smith. He was the pastor of the United Congregations of Buffalo and Cross Creek. He departed this life on April 19, 1792 in his 56th year. He is buried at the Upper Buffalo Presbyterian Church Cemetery in 1781.
Smith Township's original boundaries were the Ohio River on the north; Robinson and Cecil Townships on the east, Hopewell on the south and Virginia (now West Virginia) on the west. A part of this original area was removed by the courts to establish Hanover Township in 1830. The boundary between Cross Creek and Smith Township was changed in 1856, and once again in 1975. The result being the Smith Township of today.